#1 workrelease

workrelease

Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Estes Cone?

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

I’ve never posted the story of my own Long’s Peak climb. Having recently reviewed several others tale’s has motivated me to, for what it’s worth, share mine with the forum crew…

This is more a collection of memories than an out-and-out trip report. There are already many of those done by folks who can write far better than I.

It was late September, 1984 when we made it to the top of Longs. ‘We’ was my best friend in the world, Roy, and me. This was our third attempt, the previous two having been tried also in the prior two Septembers. In our first try, we simply under-estimated the commitment needed and after spending a night camped out at Jims Grove (yes, you used to be able to camp there), Roy and I just weren’t up to the task. The next year (’83), we tried again and were turned back at the Boulderfield by a very boisterous thunderstorm.

For our final attempt in ’84, we decided to try a day-hike blitz. We went to bed around 6:00pm and were at the trailhead and hiking by 1:00am the next morning. By the time we made it to the Agnes Vail shelter around 6:00am, we were both tired and COLD! Mind you, this was a couple of 31 year-old, smoking, flat-landers, with zero training. On the way up to treeline, I remember Roy saying, “I don’t know Philip…I’m not sure I can do this.” My reply was, “you ARE doing it. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.” Sunrise was utterly spectacular. But it was the view of the night stars that had Roy and I in such awe. I had to convince Roy that we were looking at the Milky Way and not a cloud.

Unfortunately, I’ve always had some minor problems with my knees and they had been ‘talking’ to me since the first hour on the trail. We were even considering heading back down. About that time, some other hikers showed up and they were moving up through the Keyhole. Between the light of the new day, the temperature warming just slightly, and those other hikers, we garnered enough motivation to keep going up. I’m glad we did.

Without pictures, and of course even those come up woefully short, I won’t bore you with a section-by-section narrative. But I will say that every step of the climb past the Keyhole was exhilarating and the views soul-moving.

By the time we made it to the Homestretch, we were pretty spent and my knees were BLOWN OUT! I had talked to a doctor about hiking and he had told me that if I could deal with the pain, I would not be doing further damage by hiking. I kept thinking of that sage advice while trying to get ten upward steps before having to rest both my lungs and knees.

Then we were there. Five years of staring at Longs every September and wishing I could stand at the top, and it had come true. My knees were in such bad shape by then that about all I could muster is to get a picture of the summit marker, sign the log, relax and try my best to let the view and the experience burn in before we had to head back down.

Summiting Longs does indeed take commitment. A different level of tenacity and perseverance for each person of course, but for all who reach the top there is, for sure, a payment to be made. My payment was 8 miles of climbing up, and 8 more of climbing down with each step akin to having a hot knife jabbed into the side of the knee. After meeting another buddy who was picking us up at the Ranger Station, the first words I said was, “I’ll never do it again.” That was just the pain talking; it was worth every agonizing step.

The one thing I can guarantee about climbing Longs is that those who do it will NEVER forget it. Even now, 22 years and many many life experiences later, I can look at the great pictures and descriptions here on the forum and memories come flooding back. Vivid almost to the point of being there again.

And you just might learn something about yourself on the way up.

Two years ago on a Sunday morning, as I was getting ready to go over to Roys house, his wife called and told me he had passed away. A heart attack that came out of nowhere.
I wish we could still get together and re-live our grand adventure of ’84 (and 30 years of being best friends) as we had done so many times. My recollections and ruminations of that remarkable day are now ‘solo’.

Okay gang, sorry for such a looooong post. Other than to my wife and two sons, I haven’t talked much about that extraordinary hike.

-Phil

#2 druwdowns

druwdowns

Pancaketarian

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Mills Lake

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

Phil...brutha...great report!!!

My hat's off to you and your buddy, Roy. What a great way to commemorate your friendship for us. It is amazing that you two were able to just will yourself up that mountain. It was hard enough for me when I was in shape.

Thanks for sharing such an epic adventure,
~Druw~

#3 DeeCeeM

DeeCeeM

Your Virtual Tour Guide

• Legend
  • 9,503 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: All of them

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:46 PM

I've read lots of trip reports about Longs - but never one that moved me more. Thanks for sharing.

#4 BukElgle

BukElgle

Trail Rated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Any RMNP Trail

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for sharing the great story and experience of your Longs Peak climb.
We've done a lot of great hikes, climbed Hallett and Chapin, but never have
made it to the top of Longs. After 26 years of hiking in RMNP, now I feel like
I have...

Rick caribou.gif

#5 Hike WI

Hike WI

Future RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: To the hot tub

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

Phil, what a great report. Making it to the top without training, and a smoker and a flatlander was quite impressive. Reading your report gives us inspiration to make the summit. I'm sorry about your buddy Roy, but your fond memories live on.

#6 weatherbe

weatherbe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:11 PM

I echo that same feeling. What an inspirational story and great report. I lost a best friend when I was 15. We spent all of our childhood as friends up to that point. I definitely know how you felt.

Thanks for sharing!

Weather bee.gif

QUOTE (Hike WI @ Jul 24 2006, 04:57 PM)
Phil, what a great report. Making it to the top without training, and a smoker and a flatlander was quite impressive. Reading your report gives us inspiration to make the summit. I'm sorry about your buddy Roy, but your fond memories live on.

#7 Rhonda

Rhonda

RMNP Addict

• 7,849 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Odessa Loop

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (DeeCeeM @ Jul 24 2006, 02:46 PM)
I've read lots of trip reports about Longs - but never one that moved me more.  Thanks for sharing.

Ditto. I'd write more but I've got tears in my eyes.

Rhonda

#8 Allie

Allie

other half of the set <><

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,612 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Wild Basin Area

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

What a wonderful story. I think this is a great testimony to friendship, and he lives on in your memories of that climb up Longs. Thank you for sharing this story.

Allie

#9 John

John

Forum Fanatic

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,297 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Glacier Gorge

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:11 PM

This reminds me that it's not the climb that ultimately matter, but the person you do it with. What an awesome post.

#10 workrelease

workrelease

Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:57 AM

Hey y’all,
Thanks a lot for the kind words. I think Roy would really like the fact that a bunch of friendly folks who also share his love of the Park, now know that he made it too.
And for me, there was something oddly comforting in telling the story.

-phil

P.S. - John, you make an excellent point.
- Hike WI, if we could make it, you can. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other geezer.gif

#11 Melanie

Melanie

1/2 of a set <><

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Wild Basin

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:47 AM

Phil, what a touching story and a tribute to your buddy Roy. May those memories never fade!

Melanie<><

#12 Lsmith

Lsmith

RMNP addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Chasm Lake

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:16 PM

Very inspirational! I hate those trip reports that say how easy it was, blah, blah, blah. Glad you perservered and made it through your knee pain. What a special memory to share with your best friend. How awesome to summit Longs together. Thanks for sharing your report. Ditto what John said about how important it is who you hike with. five.gif five.gif five.gif
Lori

#13 workrelease

workrelease

Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:11 PM

Well, last night I broke out some old slides and took pictures of them (pictures of...pictures). I aplogize for the quality of the pics. They're 22 year old slides.

Roy stepping through the Keyhole:

I THIINK this was at the Ledges:

#14 workrelease

workrelease

Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

The Narrows (lf you look closely, you can spot Roy up ahead of me):

Up the Trough (ugh!):

The Homestretch:

#15 workrelease

workrelease

Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:14 PM

Me (on the right) and Roy on the summit!

The summit marker:

Looking out towards Twin Sisters with Chasm Lake and Peacock Pool below:

#16 GLENNinPA

GLENNinPA

Will hike for beer.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Ed.

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

Wow what a great story Work.
Very well written. Sorry about Roy. I got goose bumps when I got to that part.
The pictures that followed are priceless.
Thanks for a great "feel good" story.

#17 B-Jay

B-Jay

RMNP addict

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:23 PM

Oh, my...I missed this report the first time you posted it. Your report truly touched my heart.

Thanks so much for posting the pictures of your memorable climb.

#18 Corey

Corey

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

It's nice to see old slide photos for a change. The rich blue of the sky and the details on the benchmark are awesome.

Film pictures really seem to capture it for me, more so than digital.

Great story.

-Corey

walking.gif

#19 kylekadekallie

kylekadekallie

RMNP Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: All are Great!

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:54 PM

I like the picture of the Narrows. The field of view vertically makes it look more imposing than others I have seen. I am not sure I like that. unsure.gif

#20 BukElgle

BukElgle

Trail Rated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Any RMNP Trail

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for adding the photos. Great memories for you and they really add to the
story for us...

Rick caribou.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic