#1 ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy

RMNP Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Black Lake

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:39 PM

This warm weather is giving me the hiking bug! Still looks pretty snowy up there from here on the high plains. Anyone have any trail reports yet?

#2 davidrosslevy

davidrosslevy

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:35 AM

No first hand reports, but friends have said the low elevation trails (Moraine Park, Upper Beaver Meadows, Deer Mountain, parts of the Twin Owls Loop) are pretty clear (or at least hikable for the most part) without snowshoes). Let us know what you hear and find out there!

#3 rcw

rcw

RMNP Junkie

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Lake Marv

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

We did Cub Lake a week and a half ago. Mostly dry with a couple of slick snowy spots of around 30 feet long. Pretty easy to do in boots. Most of the other lower hikes were free of snow. Above Bear Lake we either used spikes or snow shoes.

#4 davidrosslevy

davidrosslevy

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

This is great info - thanks! Do you have a sense for conditions up to Helene? I'm sure there's a lot of snow, but are things tracked out pretty well? I have a guest in town from sea level and want to be sure I'm not pushing his limits too much. I truly appreciate and all insight!

#5 rcw

rcw

RMNP Junkie

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Lake Marv

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

This is from another forum member who tried to reach Helene a couple of weeks ago.

"Packed snow until well past the turnoff for Flattop. We used microspikes until the first open area, then switched to snowshoes, as the trail became less packed. We lost the trail within 1/2 mile of the lake & turned back due to the wind & the fact that the "trail" we were on wasn't even close to the summer trail & had us gaining way more elevation than was needed up the backside of Flattop."

#6 Neditate

Neditate

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Ouzel Falls

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

What a difference a BIG spring snowstorm makes!

Trail reports from May 16: 

https://www.nps.gov/..._conditions.htm

This is on the RMNP site today: 

https://www.nps.gov/...main_closed.htm

EXTREME AVALANCHE DANGER ON EAST SIDE OF PARK

• Travel in the park’s mountains (avalanche terrain) is NOT recommended. Visitors planning to hike, snowshoe, or ski in the mountains this weekend should carry avalanche safety gear and have associated avalanche safety training and experience.

#7 AlexanderDelarge655321

AlexanderDelarge655321

Husker Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Sky Pond

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Is it August yet? 

#8 luv2bcampn

luv2bcampn

Future RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Sky Pond

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

I have a backcountry permit for Glacier Gorge on June 14.  Was curious if anyone has been up that way and how much snow I can expect to encounter should we choose to go.  Thanks

#9 DrCloud

DrCloud

Ancient Forest Gnome

• Administrator
  • 1,903 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Over the Top

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

Glad to see this thread, so much so that I'm going to sticky it.

By now, most of the lower trails are getting cleared off, although there's mud here and there. And the Bear-Helene segment was, as of a week ago, still snowed up, I heard, but I haven't been there.

We've had some very hot days recently, and that's accelerated both snowmelt and drying out. We went up to Bierstadt Lake yesterday expecting to find snow and mud, but it was clear and mostly dry (there was a big mound of snow by the outlet in the thick trees there).

FWIW, it's perhaps noting that they closed Bear Lake Road (except for cars with backcountry parking permits) about 10am yesterday, a Monday. Rocky's become increasingly popular and therefore crowded. Gots to get up early to get in to the interesting places now. HPH

#10 DrCloud

DrCloud

Ancient Forest Gnome

• Administrator
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

FYI, all -- Old Fall River Road opened on 30 June, for those who might want that access to the various things named Chapin. HPH

#11 mirak

mirak

RMNP Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'm headed to Rocky the last few days of July. What's status on wildflowers at higher elevations? Specifically thinking of hikes deep into Wild Basin. I hear there's still quite a bit of snow and I know it was a wet spring so I'm hoping that pushed peak wildflower season into late July this year. Or maybe all the snow shortens and diminishes the wildflower season?

#12 DrCloud

DrCloud

Ancient Forest Gnome

• Administrator
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

Is it August yet? 

Why, it finally is -- more than half-way through, yet. And it's still quite wet up high.

We walked the Haiyaha Loop today, and there's plenty of water in all the little creeks and mud on the trails. Also, the Trough on the west side of Longs Peak is still full of snow.

It's keeping things green in town, though. HPH

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users