3 replies to this topic

#1 damu21

damu21

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:03 PM

I am thinking about visiting RMNP the last week in December. any suggestions on a 1 or two night easy to moderate backpacking trip?

#2 davidrosslevy

davidrosslevy

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

That's a tricky time of year with weather and daylight, especially since fires are not permitted in the park.

You'll always have some great options in Wild Basin - Sandbeach Lake and Finch Lake come to mind for a one-nighter, and Thunder Lake and Lion Lake for more ambitious 2-nighters.

The North Inlet (lake Nokoni + Nanita) and East Inlet (Lone Pine Lake, Lake Verna) trails are longer but moderate with lots of good campsites along the way. High chance of seeing elk and moose in those corridors too.

Check this list out - you'll see a lot of good options and comments left by others on conditions at various times of year. http://www.protrails...n-national-park

#3 damu21

damu21

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:31 PM

thanks... what I am really looking to do is just find some solitude and quietness for a night. I definitely want to do some hiking, but doesn't necessarily need to camp out in the wilderness for the night. any good cabins or anything like that out there?

#4 davidrosslevy

davidrosslevy

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:12 AM

I'm not so familiar with cabins and the like, but you'll definitely have a wide range of choices at off-season rates, which is perfect for what you want.

Estes Park (east side) should have a ton of choices with really easy access to day hikes. Grand Lake and Lake Granby (west side of park) will also have great options, albeit a longer drive if coming from the Denver area.

I'd check out VRBO and Air BnB. Definitely negotiate on rates - it's the off-season! :)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users