4 replies to this topic

#1 Effinillini

Effinillini

Future RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

The quick answer is the one that still has open sites.

But that said, if there is any availability is there a particular campground that is preferred over another?  Only other time I have camped in RMNP was in Moraine Park back in 2003.

Will be tent camping with 2 adults & two kids.

Have seen the Glacier Basin pictures with the trees removed.  The views look great, but in July some shade might be nice.

Unrelated, it's been forever since I've been back to these forums.  Think I joined prior to that 2003 RMNP trip (or maybe before my ~2008) trip.  Probbaly will be poking around again as we're headed back this July.  

Thanks.

#2 DrCloud

DrCloud

Ancient Forest Gnome

• Administrator
  • 1,902 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Over the Top

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

Moraine Park, although with shade, seems to be the most popular of the campgrounds and stays pretty full. Timber Creek (the west-side campground) is pretty denuded, like Glacier Basin. Aspen Glen (by the Fall River entrance) has some shade, but, I think is smaller and may stay full. Longs Peak seems to be closed so far, not even available for reservations.

Despite the lack of shade, I'd pick Glacier Basin for its access to hiking trails. It's much more well located in that sense, particularly given the shuttle stop there. HPH

#3 wherigo

wherigo

RMNP Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: all of them

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

I hosted the past two years at Glacier basin campground and would highly recommed there, it has some tree sites but we were in the sun for two summers and never need the a/c (I had electric as host)

If it opens in July the bus stops there and you don't need your car on that side of the park. Nice easy hike to Sprague Lake from the campground perfect for young kids and its (the hike) in the shade mostly.

Edited by wherigo, 12 June 2016 - 06:03 PM.

#4 wherigo

wherigo

RMNP Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: all of them

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

Glacier Basin Campground is open (July 1,2016) for reservations and filling fast

#5 vandulf

vandulf

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:47 AM

We stayed in Glacier Basin last July of last year. Nice camping spots with great views of the mountains.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users