#21 dennis

dennis

RMNP Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: All Of Them

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:01 PM

A group of friends and I did Hallett Peak on June 28th and other than the snowfield that is usually there most of the year by hitching post, the trail was snow free. Good times. We also climbed Timberline Falls which also was snow free except for a stretch of 20-30 feet around the Loch. The falls are very wet and slippery. We made it to the top and then it started to rain so we did not get to Sky Pond but we made last year so it was an easy decision to turn around. Twin sisters and Deer Mt. were both snow free. A very nice week in Estes with mostly sun and low 80s for the first part of the week and then upper 60's with some afternoon rain the last part of the week. 

We plan on doing Mt. Ida for the first time next year. 

Sounds like you picked some good hikes for this time of year. Glad to hear snow free trails.

#22 davidrosslevy

davidrosslevy

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

Has anyone been over Black Lake to Green Lake or Frozen Lake this year? A little concerned about snow bowls in the upper valley - let me know what you think!

#23 mirak

mirak

RMNP Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:32 AM

Trip is set for last full week of July. Looks like things have been warmer than expected this year and I may be arriving a bit late for peak wildflower season. Thoughts? How are snow/flowers looking for Glacier Gorge? Wild Basin? TRR? Longs? Indian Peaks? Please provide some updates!

#24 stevenk

stevenk

Future RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

Has anyone been over Black Lake to Green Lake or Frozen Lake this year? A little concerned about snow bowls in the upper valley - let me know what you think!

I went to Frozen Lake on June 14th this year. Needed microspikes going up the ramp above Black Lake but once in Upper Glacier Gorge, took them off and didn't need them anymore to get to Frozen Lake... that was nearly a month ago. I wouldn't expect to need any snow gear now.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users