foxfire

So this is how bears stay warm?

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Hallet Peak

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Mirak,

I think this could be true for certain feet.  But ours (myself and older children) have been using regular running shoes for all of our rmnp hikes including longs for the past two trips.  The first trip I used keen mids and my feet got sore.  The next year was trail runners and that was better.  This past year was normal road running shoes and my feet felt the best.   But that could be just because the feet have toughened up over the years, who knows.....  

Bottom line is that happy feet tend to make a happy hiker.  Use what works.

They (can't remember who exactly now / but people I would trust) have talked much about how wearing more flexible shoes or boots and lower top shoes and boots can very much improve your climbing on steeper rocks and trail because of making you more comfortable due to that flexibility. Makes sense to me.

Changing for different types of hiking or packing may be the the way to go for some. I like my boots but so far this year I have been using low top casual "tenni type" shoes on the easier, short hikes and they work fine. The sole is a little thicker and "treaded".

Whatever works best for everyone. Switching out types is just another option.

Good Hiking To You All!!!

Fox

Edited by foxfire, 20 September 2014 - 12:03 PM.

#22 Veik

Veik

Rhymes with Hike.

• 3,506 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

The first couple years I hiked i used my old combat boots.  That worked okay until the tread wore off.  Then I bought some Merrell boots.  They never got along with my little toes and I had to get something different.  Next was Vasque Journey, Sundowners now I think.  They've been the best for me.

#23 jflo

jflo

Igloo Ed Wannabe

• Administrator
  • 4,509 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: The one I'm on

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:21 AM

Mirak, I think this could be true for certain feet.  But ours (myself and older children) have been using regular running shoes for all of our rmnp hikes including longs for the past two trips.  The first trip I used keen mids and my feet got sore.  The next year was trail runners and that was better.  This past year was normal road running shoes and my feet felt the best.   But that could be just because the feet have toughened up over the years, who knows.....   Bottom line is that happy feet tend to make a happy hiker.  Use what works.They (can't remember who exactly now / but people I would trust) have talked much about how wearing more flexible shoes or boots and lower top shoes and boots can very much improve your climbing on steeper rocks and trail because of making you more comfortable due to that flexibility. Makes sense to me.Changing for different types of hiking or packing may be the the way to go for some. I like my boots but so far this year I have been using low top casual "tenni type" shoes on the easier, short hikes and they work fine. The sole is a little thicker and "treaded".Whatever works best for everyone. Switching out types is just another option.Good Hiking To You All!!!Fox

Since it seems this thread has broadened its scope (not just about boots...), the past few years I've been wearing Salomon XA Pro 3D gtx for shorter hikes and so far my feet have felt great! This thread is changing my thinking about hike-appropriate footwear!

#24 Stefaan

Stefaan

Future RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:24 AM

I did a 7 mile trip with the new shoes, everything good so far. 

http://www.lowaboots...sh/5109599064/3

The 'problem' with my merrells was, that the layer between the actual vibram sole and the shoe was completely worn out and flat.

Lowa has a different type, material between the sole and shoe and should keep up for a longer time

Edited by Stefaan, 21 September 2014 - 12:27 AM.

#25 HikingPaula

HikingPaula

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

Salomon hasn't failed me yet! I love their runners for hiking and recently acquired a pair of their boots too which have been very good to me. They fit my feet great and just wear so well, you can get a lot of miles out of them. I tried out Lowa boots but they didn't perform the same. I am sticking with Salomon!

#26 rcw

rcw

RMNP Junkie

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Lake Marv

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

Asolo's for me. They fit my wide feet the best of all the brands I tried.

#27 vandulf

vandulf

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:55 AM

I have a pair of LOWA Tibet boots. Expensive but very comfortable.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users