25 replies to this topic

#1 Stefaan

Stefaan

Future RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

Looking for some new hiking shoes, always had Merrells, no complaints except for the vibram soles. Is there something more durable than vibram ?

#2 John

John

Forum Fanatic

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,297 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Glacier Gorge

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:43 PM

I also wear Merrells

#3 DrCloud

DrCloud

Ancient Forest Gnome

• Administrator
  • 1,899 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Over the Top

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

Vibram comes in a wide range of durabilities. If you're wearing out your soles before you're wearing out the entire boot, then (assuming you like the boot) one way to deal with it is to get re-soled. In Estes Park, Steve Komito's place (by the Post Office) is a starting point.

On the other hand, good soles should last (literally) hundreds of miles or more. If you're wearing them out faster than that, I suggest higher quality boots to begin with. Check out the Warming House. They (really truly) have "Real Boots" like their sign says. HPH

#4 jflo

jflo

Igloo Ed Wannabe

• Administrator
  • 4,509 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: The one I'm on

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

Merrells are a decent boot, but I found that I wore mine out prematurely. They sent me replacements twice(awesome customer service), but has the same thing happen. After searching for a while, I finally picked up a pair of Zanberlans. Love em! I have yet to wear them out. They cost more but to me they're worth it. "He was born in the summer of his 27th year..."

#5 foxfire

foxfire

So this is how bears stay warm?

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Hallet Peak

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

I will not get into brands because there are many good ones. I have had many of then. Merrells (I have some) are ok but you can do better. Shop, try. shop, try, shop and realize more money is many times worth it. Better in many ways including lasting longer. Good luck. {{{Buy Good Ones}}}! - - - Hike, hike and hike some more and have fun! Yeppers

Foxter

#6 TeamTayberry

TeamTayberry

Future RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Many

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

I just completed Mt. Evans, Mt Bierstadt, Pt 12915 from Loveland Pass, Ouzel Falls, Flattop, Andrews Glacier, Frozen Lake, Deer Mtn, Chasm Lake, Estes Cone, Twin Sisters, Emerald Lake, the Pool, and other smaller hikes with a pair of Saucony Kinvara 5s.  80 miles, 22,000 feet of gain and the shoes still look fine. My feet have enjoyed running or trail shoes more than hiking boots.  Just another option to consider.

#7 TeamTayberry

TeamTayberry

Future RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

Good article about topic.

http://www.cleverhik...log/ditch-boots

#8 Mako231

Mako231

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

I have a pair of Mammut T Advanced GTX boots that are quite lightweight, Gore-Tex, and very supportive. I am really pleased with them so far.

http://www.mammut.ch...ed-GTX-Men.html

#9 Stefaan

Stefaan

Future RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

I went to the Warming House and got a pair of Lowa. We will see how they hold up :)

#10 DrCloud

DrCloud

Ancient Forest Gnome

• Administrator
  • 1,899 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Over the Top

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

Good choice. We got Lowas a couple of years ago and have been walking blissfully ever since. Also, be aware that the Warming House guys are really experts at boots, so if there's the least little thing wrong, go back. For example, they have amazing lacing tricks to help all sorts of issues. HPH

#11 ProTrails

ProTrails

ProTrails Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 293 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: 5 Lake Loop

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:56 PM

I'd been wearing the vasque velocity for years, but then they changed the shoe style and it no longer worked. It was brutal! I've since switched to Salomons:

http://www.salomon.c...ct/x-ultra.html

I like them a lot. Hiked every trail in Olympic NP with 'em and they held up great.

#12 ProTrails

ProTrails

ProTrails Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 293 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: 5 Lake Loop

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

And the warming house is in my top 5 outdoor stores anywhere!

#13 foxfire

foxfire

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

I have had Salomons and they were good ole boots. The vasque probably would have been fine if I had not made a mistake and bought real high (8in-?) and they bothered me in that way. I loved my Raicles. I now have old Montrails that I still love and wear sometimes. They are great! My Lowa are full leather and a little heavy but I am use to them and they are very good. <> from The Warming House - - (great place) Merrells as well that I need to try out! Yeppers

Happy Hiking Feet = Happy Hiking!

Fox

Edited by foxfire, 18 September 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#14 Aaron

Aaron

forums founder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,582 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

Merrell has disappointed me with the past three pairs I've got. I'm sending in my current pair for warranty replacement. This is likely my last pair of Merrell's.

#15 foxfire

foxfire

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

Merrell has disappointed me with the past three pairs I've got. I'm sending in my current pair for warranty replacement. This is likely my last pair of Merrell's.

Oh? Well I haven't used mine yet. We'll see. Prolly won't use anyway but for easy kick around on some days.

We all know you are a busy guy but now that you don't have the heavy duties to keep this place going you might have a {{ smidgeon }} more time just to plain stop in for a comment or two. At least - some - for actual fun / play - - not work.

Smile

Fox

Edited by foxfire, 18 September 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#16 jflo

jflo

Igloo Ed Wannabe

• Administrator
  • 4,509 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: The one I'm on

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:18 AM

Did that twice. Sold my last pair on eBay...

"He was born in the summer of his 27th year..."

#17 hector

hector

RMNP addict

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

I've had my Lowa's for 4 years; best boots I've ever had!

#18 mirak

mirak

RMNP Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

Honestly, I don't think the brand matters so much as the style. The vast majority of hikers don't need a 3/4 or full length boot. Those are for backpackers who need more ankle support. For everyone else, they're far better off shedding a few extra ounces per boot and going with a low top boot. Those few extra ounces on your feet will cause far more fatigue than carrying a few extra pounds at your waist!

I've been using a set of Lowas for over 5 years now and they've held up great. The only thing I've swapped out is a new set of insoles (an easy fix for older boots that can work wonders for your feet).

#19 mirak

mirak

RMNP Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

Good article about topic.

http://www.cleverhik...log/ditch-boots

The one thing about this article I disagree with is that regular running shoes typically have too thin a sole for hiking, and can be quite painful when hiking on rocky paths or scrambling. As you know, many of the paths in RMNP are really... rocky. That's why I would still opt for a stiffer vibram sole. Maybe there are trail runners that offer this, but low top boots are a good choice.

#20 TeamTayberry

TeamTayberry

Future RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

Mirak,

I think this could be true for certain feet.  But ours (myself and older children) have been using regular running shoes for all of our rmnp hikes including longs for the past two trips.  The first trip I used keen mids and my feet got sore.  The next year was trail runners and that was better.  This past year was normal road running shoes and my feet felt the best.   But that could be just because the feet have toughened up over the years, who knows.....  

Bottom line is that happy feet tend to make a happy hiker.  Use what works.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users