7 replies to this topic

#1 kingrassia

kingrassia

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

I am making a last minute trip to RMNP next weekend (May 3-5). I will have the afternoon and evening Friday night and all day Saturday. I was hoping to do a short hike on Friday and a medium/longer one on Saturday. I am from out of state so I won't get the chance to do this again any time soon. Any ideas for the best places to hike if I only have two days? I'm mostly looking for beautiful scenery. Also, any ideas what the trail conditions are like? I want to know how to dress on the trails and what to bring with me. Will I be able to do a hike without snowshoes? Any help will be great. Thanks!

(I will be staying in Estes Park so I'm thinking that trails on the east side of the park will be the best for me).

#2 Igloo Ed

Igloo Ed

Information Minister

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: The top

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Welcome to the forum!

A nice afternoon and evening hike can be had starting from Bear Lake and heading up past Nymph Lake to Dream Lake. At Dream, you can make a call if you want to go to Emerald Lake or Lake Haiyaha. Haiyaha is a bit more than Emerald but I think the payoff is better at Haiyaha. You might want to save yourself some for Sat and depending on how strong and acclimated you are....

A full day hike I like is from Glacier Gorge (or Bear Lake if the GG lot is full) to The Loch or a longer day would be to Black Lake. Both lakes have trails that go beyond them but it's not certain they'll be broke.

You will be hiking on snow but it should be packed hard enough to support you. Waterproof boots are a must or several changes of socks (not cotton) as the snow turns to slush in the day's heat. An early start gives a much firmer trail on the way up and usually it's slushy on the way down which makes for easy travel as it is softer on my feet than a rocky trail is. And the slipping is controlled a bit in comparison to slipping on ice.

Some ice/snow traction devices for the morning might be handy, I don't use them myself.

Hiking poles with baskets on them help a lot for balance.

There are lower trails that are much drier but the views up high can't be beat.

#3 John

John

Forum Fanatic

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,297 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Glacier Gorge

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

Dream Lake is a great hike for sure. If you there there late on Friday, or after your hike to Dream, you might want to walk around Sprague Lake and/or visit the Alluvial Fan.

#4 mathguy

mathguy

RMNP Junkie

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Mt. Alice Loop

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

If you want to get to the top of something you might consider Deer Mountain.  The trail starts

at Deer Ridge Junction where HWYs 34 and 36 meet inside the park; it's about 6 miles

RT with about 1000 feet of elevation gain (so not overly strenuous).  I believe the trail usually

melts out fairly quickly, so you shouldn't encounter too much snow, though the trail may be

a bit muddy in spots.  You get great views of the Continental Divide, part of the Mummy

Range, and (at the top) Longs, Twin Sisters, Estes Park, etc.

#5 kingrassia

kingrassia

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I feel like I have a place to start, now.

#6 jflo

jflo

Igloo Ed Wannabe

• Administrator
  • 4,509 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: The one I'm on

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Gem Lake is also a worthy hike, if you want something in town and quick...

#7 kingrassia

kingrassia

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Thanks, I'm wondering if my plans are going to have to change with the recent snow.

#8 Igloo Ed

Igloo Ed

Information Minister

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: The top

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

Not certain, if the storm is over with tonight, the road to BL should be open on Friday and there's a good chance the trail to Nymph and Dream would get broke. It'll certainly get broke on Sat. if the road is open.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hiking, weekend, trails, last minute, rmnp, estes park, scenery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users